Saturday, February 18, 2006

What the Hell Happened to Me? Pt. 1

As a lot of people who read this blog know, I'm a recent convert to the Democratic Party. I'm going to try and lay out why such a conversion happened and what lead me to open my eyes to some new realizations. Here we go:

I love my nation, I really do. I might love it more then some, I did sign a contract that might have had me die for the nation and what it stands for. I love being an American and I love living in America. But a time comes in every relationship where you have to step back, take the rose-colored glasses off and really take a look. Not too long ago I did that, against my mind's best wishes. My conscience wasn't going to have it any differently. I was amazed at what I saw.

The first thing I looked at was the Iraq War, something I wasn't too fond of even when I had "rose-colored" glasses blinding my vision. I looked at why we went to war as presented by the bUSH administration. The main selling points were the WMDs, some sort of connection to terrorists and a nation that has a crazy leader, Hellbent on destroying America. It didn't take much to realize that no WMDs= not much of a threat to the US. I read a little on Iraq's apparent terrorist connection, especially with al Qaeda but only found out Saddam didn't trust al Qaeda, as he is a secularlist and al Qaeda are hardline fundamentalist Muslims. In fact Saddam didn't trust al Qaeda and felt they could be a threat to his power in Iraq. So without any of the smoking guns outlined by the administration found, what prompted the war? I didn't really know all too much on that so I researched a bit.

Leading up to the Iraq War the bUSH administration seemed to trump intelligence in regards to Iraq's WMDs and "smoking guns" saying Iraq had WMDs. They said Iraq tried to buy yellow cake from Niger, only to be told that it didn't happen by Joseph Wilson. Joseph Wilson went to Niger, did what he had to do and came back with no evidence of such things. What does bUSHco do to rebutt this? Leak his wife's name. His wife was a CIA agent, Valerie Plame. That leak led to at least one death of a CIA agent. Was it treason? I don't know, we'll find out I am sure. I came to the conclusion that we were lied to by the administration. Maybe we were, maybe we weren't but I started to lose my trust in them.


 


Logo created by Barbi. Donkey clip art via MadLantern.com.